Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sheldon Church

On September 27 I enjoyed a day ride on my Ninja down in the southern part of the state. I wound my way down toward Beaufort, hitting a few towns whose post offices I was missing in my collection, and I then got on Highway 17 in Yemassee and rode it to Charleston; it's a nice road that, especially on roads that branch off of it, showcases the beauty of the South Carolina Lowcountry.

It passes right by some really cool church ruins that I've visited a couple of times before, but it's always nice to visit again; it's the Sheldon Church, completed in 1755, burned by the British in the Revolutionary War, rebuilt, and burned again by the Union in the Civil War.











The area around the church is beautiful with lots of old trees and moss. There are also several pretty old graves on the grounds.




If you find yourself headed down I-95 toward Savannah, do yourself a favor and make a short detour to visit it; take exit 33 and head east on 17 about 8 miles; there's a brown sign indicating the left turn, and it's only a mile or two from there. Parking is alongside the road out front, and there is no fee.

1 Comments:

At Monday, October 19, 2009 10:18:00 AM, Anonymous "The Wolfe" said...

Great pics, dig the new blog name! Keep in touch.

TF

 

Post a Comment

<< Home