Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Cokesbury College and Payne Institute near Greenwood, SC

On January 10 I made a 250-mile ride on my Ninja up around Greenwood, SC. Just north of Greenwood I discovered a community that I had not visited before, Cokesbury, named for Thomas Coke and Francis Asbury, the first two Methodist bishops in the United States. In that community is the remains of Cokesbury College, built in 1854, which first served as a girls school and then as a boys school until 1882 when it became co-ed; it remained operational until 1954.







Down a narrow road adjacent to the college is a monument to the Payne Institute, which was the predecessor to Allen University in Columbia.





I passed over Lake Greenwood as I was leaving the area and saw a huge flock of gulls resting on the docks.



It was a great day of riding, with a couple of neat historic discoveries!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home